Academics and Researchers: Temporary Visits

Temporary Visas:

There are a variety of visas available for temporary residence stays within Australia, several of these are suitable for academics and researchers. The relevant type of visa depends upon a number of factors (e.g. country of passport, length of stay, the activities you wish to undertake and whether you will be paid) so the choice of visa will vary. Some options may provide pathways to permanent migration if an individual is subsequently eligible to meet the selection criteria of a visa providing permanent residence. Some visas require the visa applicant to obtain prior sponsorship from an academic institution or eligible organisation.

Please feel welcome to Contact us to discuss how we might assist your needs.

This page provides a brief overview of the visas available

Business Short Stay
  • Attend / Present at a conference
  • Guest lecture or observe/participate in a research project
  • Post Grad/Doc seeking research opportunities
Training and Research visa
  • For individuals who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to undertake occupational training, conduct or observe research as a visiting academic or participate in a professional development program. This Visa includes 3 streams:
    • Occupational Trainee stream for individuals who require structured training to either enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study or field of expertise
    • Research stream enabling professional academics to visit Australia on a temporary basis, to observe or participate in an Australian research project
    • Professional Development stream for professionals, managers or government officials to undertake a professional development training program in Australia.
Engineering Graduates
Business Long Stay
  • Eligible to work for the sponsor (receive salary according to Australian laws)
Post Graduate Research
  • Study at a recognised tertiary institution.
  • Primary and secondary applicants of post graduate visa holders are permitted to work full time, once the course commences.
Post Study Work Visa
  • Proposed to be available early 2013
  • Must have graduated with a Bachelor Degree, Masters, or Doctorate from an Australian University.
  • Must meet eligibility criteria, depending upon type of study valid 2-4 years

Working Holiday Visas

Graduates from eligible countries might also consider Working Holiday Visas
Working Holiday Visas
  • Visa duration up to 12 months
  • Available to individuals aged 18-30 from specified countries
  • Extended holidays supplemented by short-term employment
  • Must meet eligibility criteria
  • Can work in Australia for up to six months with each employer