There are a number of temporary visa options available to assist Parents visit their children in Australia. These include:
Please feel welcome to Contact us to discuss how we might assist your needs.
As with all visas applications there are a range of selection criteria that must be met, these and other factors may influence your choice of visa. There are also Permanent Residence Parent Visa optionsPermanent Residence Parent Visa options, the Non-Contributory and the Contributory Parent Visas.
- Temporary Sponsored Parent visa expected November 2017 (as at July 2018, delayed pending legislation approval, UPDATE: 28th Nov 2018 associated Bill was approved and is waiting Royal Ascent, after which it must be implemented within 6 months, The Minister has announced. 'Applications for the Temporary Sponsored Parent visa will open in the first half of 2019)
- Visitor Visas there are a variety of visitor visas available for short visits
- Longer Visitor visas
Temporary Sponsored Parent visa
The new temporary sponsored parent visa was expected to be introduced in November 2017 (as at July 2018, this visa has been delayed pending legislation approval, UPDATE: 28th Nov 2018 associated Bill was approved and is waiting Royal Ascent, after which it must be implemented within 6 months, The Minister has announced. 'Applications for the Temporary Sponsored Parent visa will open in the first half of 2019). This visa will allow Parents to temporarily stay in Australia for periods of up to three or five years. The visa holder’s sponsor (their Australian child) will have legal liability for any public health expenditure (including aged care arrangements) incurred by the visa holder during their stay in Australia.
The visa may be renewed to allow a cumulative stay of up to ten years.
As at July 2017 the cost of this visa was provides as: 3 year stream $5,000, 5 year stream $10,000.
Initially this visa will be limited to a quota 15,000 visas / year. The Department will undertake a review of this new visa at the end of the first year.
There are a number of eligibility requirements to apply for this visa. These include:
- The visa applicant must meet a number of selection criteria including health and character requirements
- The visa must be sponsored by a biological, adoptive, or a step-child, over the age of 18
- The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, who has lived in Australia for at least 4 years
- The sponsor must meet the household income requirement and accept legal liability for any public health debt their sponsored parent accrues
Longer Tourist Visas for Parents:
Parents of Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents may be eligible to apply for an extended Tourist visa of up to 5 years providing stays of up to 12 months within an 18 month period. As with all visas selection criteria and the visa conditions attached to the visa mean that this option should be balanced against the longer term aims of the individual. Condition 8558 is generally attached to this visa and to prevent de facto residence which can cause the visa to cease or be cancelled as appropriate to the legislation should the holder breach the condition by remaining longer than 12 months.