There are a number of temporary visa options available to assist Parents visit their children in Australia. These include:
Please feel welcome to Contact us to discuss how we might assist your needs.
As with all visas applications there are a range of selection criteria that must be met, these and other factors may influence your choice of visa. There are also Permanent Residence Parent Visa optionsPermanent Residence Parent Visa options, the Non-Contributory and the Contributory Parent Visas.
- Temporary Sponsored Parent visa On the 1st March 2019 the Minister has announced that applications from Parent sponsors would open as of the 1st April and from the 1st July for visa applications. This visa had originally been announced to start November 2017 but was delayed pending associated legislation approval.
- Visitor Visas there are a variety of visitor visas available for short visits
- Longer Visitor visas
Temporary Sponsored Parent visa
This visa will allow Parents to temporarily stay in Australia for periods of up to three or five years (to a maximum cumulative total of 10 years). The visa holder’s sponsor (their Australian child) will have legal liability for any public health expenditure (including aged care arrangements) incurred by the visa holder during their stay in Australia.
The visa may be renewed to allow a cumulative stay of up to ten years.
The cost of this visa was provides as: 3 year stream $5,000, 5 year stream $10,000, with an additional charge of $420 for the Sponsorship application (Sponsor/s must have a total taxable income of at least $83,454.80).
Initially this visa will be limited to a quota 15,000 visas / year. The Department will undertake a review of this new visa at the end of the first year.
There are a number of eligibility requirements to apply for this visa. These include:
- The visa applicant must meet a number of selection criteria including health and character requirements
- The visa must be sponsored by a biological, adoptive, or a step-child, over the age of 18
- The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, who has lived in Australia for at least 4 years
- The sponsor must meet the household income requirement and accept legal liability for any public health debt their sponsored parent accrues
Longer Tourist Visas for Parents:
Parents of Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents may be eligible to apply for an extended Tourist visa of up to 5 years providing stays of up to 12 months within an 18 month period. As with all visas selection criteria and the visa conditions attached to the visa mean that this option should be balanced against the longer term aims of the individual. Condition 8558 is generally attached to this visa and to prevent de facto residence which can cause the visa to cease or be cancelled as appropriate to the legislation should the holder breach the condition by remaining longer than 12 months.