The Skilled Occupations Lists for occupations that can be nominated towards some of the Skilled Visas were updated as of the 1st July 2017. In previous years there has been a single Skilled Occupations List that covered the main Skilled Visas. As of 1st July 2017 the DIBP have created individual Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL - previously the SOL) and Short-term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL - previously CSOL) for the various Skilled Visas, resulting in a combination of 6 lists.
- MLTSSL & STSOL for 186 visas (IMMI 17/080: Specification of Occupations and Assessing Authorities—Subclass 186 Visa)
- MLTSSL & STSOL for 457 visas (IMMI 17/060: Specification of Occupations—Subclass 457 Visa)
- MLTSSL & STSOL for Skilled Independent visa (IMMI 17/072: Specification of Occupations and Assessing Authorities)
In addition in a change from previous years as of the 1st of July Caveats have been applied to a total of 67 occupations across the 457 and 186 Employer Nominated Visas. The DIBP have added these caveats to ensure these visa programmes fill skilled positions that cannot be filled via the local labour market.
Examples of the Caveats, where they have been applied to an occupation can include:
- minimum work experience requirements
- minimum salary requirements
- work place, business turnover
- job description restrictions/exclusions
The number of places available for each occupation within the Skilled Occupation steams is limited. The quota for each occupation is reset each 1st July. A list of the quota of places for the for the 2017-18 occupation year will be provided when information becomes available. Due to the popularity of some occupations those occupations in high demand are issued on a pro rata basis according to the selection criteria.
Another of our web pages provides an up to date table showing the current rate at which invitations are being issued to people who have submitted and EOI for a 189
Please feel welcome to Contact us to discuss how we might assist you with your application.