Within the Skilled Visa options international migrants to Australia are required to provide evidence that their skills (qualifications and/or work experience) meet the required standard for the type of visa and the occupation for which they are applying. The skills assessment requirements can vary across the visa subclasses depending upon the nominated occupation. For some occupations the applicant’s English language level and Registration/Licensing in Australia may also be required.
If you are looking for professional assistance with a skills assessment and/or visa application please feel free to contact us. We can assist you by:
- Providing checklists of the documents required by the relevant assessment authority
- Check and help you compile the required documents and evidence for your application
- Submit and Track your application until a decision has been made
- Selecting the appropriate occupation, if required
Requirements: In order to apply for a Points Assessed Skilled Visa (and some Employer nominated visa options) it is a mandatory requirement to have your skills positively assessed, for your nominated occupation, as suitable by the relevant Skills Assessment Authority as specified by the Dept. of Home Affairs.
Following the skills assessment, assuming your skills are found to be at the appropriate level, you will be provided with a Positive Skills Assessment. This is required before you can submit an Expression of Interest for one of the points tested skilled visas.
The requirements for each Skills Assessment / Occupation can vary considerably. The different skills assessment authorities have different assessment criteria, procedures, processing times and fees. Some skills assessment authorities will also provide written advice on whether they consider your work experience to be at the correct level to be classified as ‘skilled’ in occupation you are nominating.
We can provide a service to assist you with skills assessments by the following skills assessment authorities:
- AASW - Australian Association of Social Workers Limited
- ACPSEM - Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine
- ACS - Australian Computer Society
- ACWA - Australian Community Workers Association Inc.
- AIM - Australian Institute of Management
- AIMS - Australian Institute of Medical Scientists
- AITSL - Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership Limited
- ANMAC - Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council Limited
- APC - Australian Physiotherapy Council Limited
- AVBC - Australasian Veterinary Boards Council Incorporated
- CAANZ - Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- CPAA - CPA Australia Ltd
- DAA – Dieticians Association of Australia
- Engineers Australia - The Institution of Engineers Australia
- IPA - Institute of Public Accountants Ltd
- MedBA - Medical Board of Australia
- Podiatry Board of Australia
- TRA – Trades Recognition Australia
- TRA – Trades Recognition Australia
- VETASSESS – Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services: Professional occupations
- Q: What documents do I need to provide. A: As above this varies between the different skilled assessment authorities and occupations.
- Q: How long will the skills assessment take to process. A: The timelines vary depending upon the skills assessment authority. Some authorities may provide priority processing under some circumstances.
- Q: How long is the skills assessment valid. A: Skills Assessments are valid until the date specified on the skills assessment, or where no date is specified, 3 years from the date of the skills assessment, whichever is earliest.
- Q: How much does a skills assessment cost. A: Again this varies depending upon the skills assessment authority and the occupation.